Monday, June 27, 2011

Treatment Plan

  Today was my first day of chemo. It wasn't as bad as I had expected, but I hear as the treatment goes on I will feel worse. We got there at 9:00 and after our "chemo class" I was started on an anti-nausea drip, then some steroids (I think), a potassium & magnesium drip, then I got my first "chemo" which is called Cisplatnin, after that I got Etoposide, then some heparin and I was finally able to come home. We got home about 4:30 so it was a really long day. Tomorrow I get to add Bleomycin to my "cocktail". The Bleo will only be once a week on Tuesdays though, so that's a good thing.

  I will have to complete 3-4 "cycles" and a cycle is:
5 days of chemotherapy with the Bleo infusion on Tuesday. Then I get two weeks off, but I still get the Bleo every Tuesday. So this process is going to take 9-12 weeks. I will lose my hair (I'm still dealing with that issue, but I'll have to accept it eventually!). And I will have the typical nausea and fatigue side effects. The anti-nausea infusion I got today seems to be working OK. I did have to take a pill on the way home, but bright light seems to affect me, kinda like when I have a migraine, so  I don't know if my nausea on the way home was from the bright sun or just a reaction to the meds or both.

   I was finally provided with some "normal people" information about my cancer. Check out this link. Then the "kind" of sex-cord-stromal-tumor I had was the Serolli Cell Tumor My oncologist said that she has only read about 6-10 women having that particular one. Its so weird how I had almost every single one of the "Signs & Symptoms" listed.

   Even though this seems like its going to be a rough road, I am sure I will make it through and hopefully be better than ever! I hope the 3 people that read this don't mind that I will be posting more than I usually do. I want to keep a journal on how I'm feeling and what is happening in our lives during all of this.

Its so weird how fast it has affected what I want to eat and drink, and I just started this morning. I drank a Sprite and all I could taste was the carbonated water. Crackers with Peanut Butter and Pretzel sticks with Mozzarella tasted so divine! Also Lime Tootsie Rolls were delicious! I keep telling Gary I want BBQ, so we'll see if I still want some when he gets around to smoking a turkey or roast. I might just have to have him drive down to Goodwood and get me some! Orange,vanilla, and Lemon Tootsie Rolls tasted horribly sweet. I guess time will tell what I want and don't want.

  Well, I'm off to make a log of my medication cause I have a lot more now!!

3 comments:

megankremer said...

glad your first day went pretty well! i love that you're blogging/journal-ing about it and sharing :) sending you lots of love and prayers!

Pamula said...

Sammy my friend thank you so much for sharing what you are goingthrough.. love you lots and hang in there
Pam

Sean and Hollee said...

I pray your days go just as well as today. Before you know it Sam all this crap will be the past. But for now it probably seems like it's going to take a lifetime. I'm glad I am able to help you out. When my cousin had breast cancer she had a hard time saying yes she needed something when people would ask what her needs were. She would always say no and that she was fine. She came to the conclusion that she needed to let people help do things for her. And she knew through prayer that all the friends and family that had helped her had gained a better testimony of service. So when someone ask what they can do for you don't be affraid to ask or say what your needs are. Service is a good way to show someone you care. Good luck samantha! Talk to you soon.