Tuesday, July 19, 2011

where oh where has my energy gone?

Day 23

 My 2nd chemo cycle started yesterday. Not the most fun place to be, but its gotta be done. I didn't blog at all last week because I had to have my head shaved and I was soooo depressed for a few (okay, most of the week) days. We did buy a wig for me. It looks like my hair before I cut it short for the beginning of chemo. So I feel comfortable with it, but its hot so I only wear it when I know Im going to be in an air conditioned room. I have a hard time dealing with people staring at me when Im wearing a scarf or one of my hats. I hope I didnt do that to people before I had to go through this, I will make sure I dont.

 Im ok with it now, I don't like it at all but I can deal. I know it will grow back 6 weeks after my last chemo treatment. One bummer, my leg hair hasn't stopped growing....seriously chemo?!?!
Ta-Da! me with my new do'!
With this new cycle I have found that I have zero energy. I am asleep or trying to sleep the entire time while sitting there during my 6-7 hour treatments. When I get home I want to sleep (and do). Today though, I made an effort to get my butt outa bed. I took Ben and Mossy for 15 minute walks each (I do not have the strength to take them together). It was nice to get out and move a little. I haven't had a lot of nausea yet, which I am thankful for. My appetite comes and goes though. One of the weird side effects I have had is extremely dry lips and mouth, I am constantly applying chapstick and drinking water or I have a hard candy in my mouth. Its pretty annoying.

Overall, I think I am coping ok. I am so thankful for everyone who has helped us. My mom-in-law drives me to chemo most days of the week when she doesn't, my dear friend Zennetta does. Gary has been wonderful to keep the house picked up, along with work, and his outside chores. And all my wonderful friends and neighbors who have brought dinner to us, THANK YOU!!! The dinners help out so much because I can't cook during my chemo weeks and a few days after, I guess I could try but we would be eating mac n cheese every night. So thank you, it is so appreciated.

Also, a special thanks to my cousin Lucas and my little brother Jimmy. Lucas shaved his head in my honor at his wedding (!!) over the weekend. I hope I get the video soon because I am so anxious to see everything I missed. I wanted to go so bad but Dr said I couldn't be around that many people on a plane or at the wedding, so we went camping instead. My brother did it yesterday and it meant so much to me. I feel so loved by both of these wonderful men in my family. I love you Luke and Bo (short for Jimbo)!! You two mean so much to me, I love you so much and I can't wait to see you when all of this is over!

Blessing for the day: Everything really, I feel very blessed to have such wonderful family and friends.

2 comments:

Rocky said...

You look so beautiful! I love the humor. I continue to pray for your strength, healing and recovery.

Andy and Cecy said...

Sam, you look BEAUTIFUL!!! You have been so strong through all of this! I look up to you so much! Love you!